Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha exploded onto our screens in August 2021 and the world ate it up like chocolate. Ever since its sweet, heart-warming finale in October, the famous Dimple couple has left this huge gaping hole that honestly feels like no other couple can fill it.
If you’ve landed on this page, you’ve likely laughed, cried, and binged your way through the 16 episodes of Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha – multiple times.
The drama centers around the healing journey of city girl Yoon Hye Jin who visits and eventually settles down in a small seaside town called Gongjin. There, she meets the lovely and welcoming townspeople as well as the good-mannered, great-looking, charming Chief Hong who eventually becomes all of our husbands. Or at least, Hye Jin’s actual boyfriend and our imaginary husband!
The finale of the drama was as wholesome, sweet, funny, and memorable as you can imagine, but it did have one big problem: there were no more episodes to look forward to after that.
To alleviate that ache, we’ve compiled some of the best quotes from Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha for you to reminisce over.
Without further ado, let’s relive some of the great memories of this fantastic drama together.
1. “Money and success aren’t everything. Happiness, self-satisfaction, world peace, and love … are also valuable things in life. Anyway, life isn’t a mathematical equation. It is not possible to calculate the details. There’s no exact answer either. You’re just assigned a problem and it’s up to you how you solve it.” – Hong Doo Sik
Doo Sik observes how Hye Jin meticulously calculates her every move in life and laments that life does not always turn out the way we want or plan it to.
2. “Life seems to be very long, but after living it, you will realize how short it is. Get rid of superfluous thoughts and live true to yourself!”. Mrs. Gam Ri
Mrs. Gam Ri encourages Doo Sik to let go of his reservations and completely, utterly open up his heart to Hye Jin.
3. “It’s ok to get lost or take the long route every now and then. Every time that happened, life took me on an interesting side.” – Ji Sung Hyun
Sun Hyun comments about life’s unexpected twists and turns and notes that often, the path of living is not one straight road but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Simply embrace what life throws at you.
4. “You’re bound to meet some unexpected situations in life. Even if you use an umbrella, you’ll end up getting wet. Just put your hands up and enjoy the rain.” – Hong Doo Sik
Rain can happen unexpectedly every now and then, just like difficult events in our lives. When this happens, just face the storm and ride it out.
5. “Do you know what it means to be a good parent? It’s staying healthy for a long time and not getting sick.” – Yoon Hye Jin
Often parents will think that sacrificing their own good is the best way to take care of their children. However, Hye Jin wisely comments that it is painful for children to live without their parents, so taking good care of their health is the best way to take care of their children.
6. “Life is not fair. Some people have to walk on unpaved roads their entire life, while some run at full speed only to end up at the edge of a cliff.” – Hong Doo Sik
Working hard in life does not necessarily mean you’ll be rewarded. Life is not fair to everyone, so be kind to your own and others’ shortcomings; you never know what they’re going through.
7. “I’m a realist. If there’s input, there out to be output.” Yoon Hye Jin
Realist Hye Jin believes that putting in the hard yards means that there should be results in the end.
8. “You know, they say when you lose a loved one, you should mourn plenty. If not, the grief travels all through your body and it bursts later.” Yoon Hye Jin
When you’re mourning someone, it’s best to let your emotions out instead of bottling them up.
9. “It’s good to see you smile. Keep smiling. Don’t think twice about whether or not you should smile or be happy. Don’t think too much. Just smile.” – Yoon Hye Jin
This is definitely one of the best quotes from Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha!
You don’t need a reason to be happy or to smile. If that’s the mood you’re in, don’t think twice and just feel the happiness.
10. “You have a hangnail that’s bothering you. It’s painful and irritating. You need to take care of it. If not, it’ll hurt even more.” – Director Ji Seongheyon
If you have hurt inside of you, you should deal with it directly. Harbouring it over a long period will only do you more harm.
If you are looking for more inspiring quotes from K-dramas, make sure you also read this blog post: Korean Drama Quotes.
11. “What may be easy for you can be difficult for another.” – Yeo Hwajeong
Be compassionate towards others. You might take for granted what others cherish or find difficult.
12. “You learn the most by putting yourself in other peoples’ shoes.” – Miseon
The greatest life skill is being empathetic towards others. Put yourself in their shoes and try to understand things from their perspective.
13. “Surfing is very similar to life. If a good wave comes along, you ride it and slide off it gently. Whether the waves are vicious or stagnant, accept it as is.” – Hong Doo Sik
This one is a great analogy! Just like the unpredictability of waves in the ocean, so too is life’s hurdles. If you come across one, simply deal with it and move on.
14. “When parents die, children who regret the most cry the most.” – Wonseok
This one is a sad quote and one that makes you think deeply about your relationship with your parents. Don’t live a life of regents by not telling them how much you love or appreciate them.
15. “I don’t know what you’re holding, but just lay all your cards on the table. Relationships aren’t a poker game where you bluff and make bets. Just be honest. Show her what kind of person you are. Let her decide how she feels about it.” Director Ji Seonghyeon
Instead of playing games in a relationship and keeping the other person guessing, just wear your heart on your sleeve and let them know exactly what they mean to you.
16. “Because of you, I’ve been discovering a new side of me every day.” – Hong Du Sik
People often say that your significant other brings out the best in you. This is definitely the case with Chief Hong and Hye Jin!
17. “I’m so proud that you won the prize. But we would be still doing this even if you hadn’t. What we’re celebrating is the fact that you worked hard. To me, that’s more important than the prize itself.” – Yeo Hwajeong
The values of hard work and ethics are more important than achieving a monetary prize in the end.
18. “I’ve lived for 34 years with you, but each day seems to last forever since I’ve met you.” – Hong Doo Sik
Could Chief Hong get any more romantic?
19. “Nothing’s easy at first, you know. Whether it’s wearing shoes or being in a relationship.” – Director Ji Seonghyeon
This quote applies to all aspects of life. The understanding that new and strange things take time and effort to get used to is the first step to understanding life.
20. “I love everything about here. The bonfire, the sound of the waves, the sound of the water, the scent of summer, the stars, and you. Out of everything that exists in this world, I like you the most.” – Yoon Hye Jin
Do we really need to go deeper on this one?
Honestly, if we were to collate all the best quotes from Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, we’d have a book full of philosophies of life…or at last, an adorable romantic novel that we’d read the heck out of.
The ending was the cherry on top of the entire drama, but what made Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha really stand out were the people. The beautiful friendships, families, and relationships that were formed, broken and healed spoke to us on a human level.
The characters were fleshed out superbly, and their ordinary mundane lives mixed with their philosophical thinking and carefree attitude whisked us away to a world we can never stop loving.
We hope we somehow filled that little void in your life, even if it was just for a while!
Which quote was your favourite? Let’s discuss this in the comments section below!
If you love romantic dramas, make sure you also check out our selection of the best romance comedy K-dramas!